Mercy and Grace
Mercy and Grace
What do you deserve? Well I deserve a big house. I deserve a happy marriage. I deserve two healthy children. I deserve an education. I deserve a high-paying job. I deserve to be respected. I deserve to be treated fairly. I deserve a new car. I deserve a vacation. I deserve a worry-free life with no pain.
Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!
What you deserve for your sinful nature is death. Here is what you have done to deserve death. You deserve death because of your rebellion against God, your selfish desires, your disobedience to God, your covetousness, your idolatry and your adultery to God. Your penalty for these acts is eternal separation from God. It is eternal death.
Mercy withholds from you what you deserve. Grace gives you what you do not deserve. Because of God’s mercy HE spared HIS wrath on you by sending Jesus, HIS only son, to forgive your sin. By God’s grace you are now an heir of God and a joint heir with Jesus Christ.
- Mercy is the father of the prodigal son running toward the son.
- Grace is giving the prodigal son a robe and feast of the fatted calf.
- Mercy is Joseph telling his brothers to not be afraid and that what they meant for evil, God has used for good.
- Grace is Joseph having his brothers sit with him at his table to eat and then be offered the land of Goshen to live.
- Mercy is David being forgiven by God for his adultery and murder.
- Grace is David becoming King and the blood line of Jesus coming through him.
What you deserve is death as your payment for sin. Yet because of God’s mercy HE sent Jesus into the world to redeem the world. Jesus came to seek and save the lost and the perishing from sin. Jesus redeemed you from your sin and allows you to sit at the right hand of God in Christ Jesus. When Christ looks at you HE sees a reflection of HIMSELF. HE sees you without any sin. HE sees you as Holy and Righteous because of Jesus Christ. You are a forgiven child of God.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God. Ephesians 2:8
Copyright © 2015 Glenn Repple ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
G.A. Repple Company Rex Robert H. DBSI Doing Business Social IntegrityG.A. Repple & Company Securities Claim God’s Law