Suggest or Command
Which word is stronger: suggest or command?
Did Jesus suggest or command? What did HE command and what are the benefits of doing as HE commands?
A command is an authoritative order. To command is to be in a strong enough position to have or secure (something). Often we command people to not do something. Here Jesus is commanding us to do something for our own benefit.
- 9 I have loved you, [just] as the Father has loved Me; abide in My love [continue in His love with Me].
- 10 If you keep My commandments [if you continue to obey My instructions], you will abide in My love and live on in it, just as I have obeyed My Father’s commandments and live on in His love.
- 11 I have told you these things, that My joy and delight may be in you, and that your joy and gladness may be of full measure and complete and overflowing.
- 12 This is My commandment: that you love one another [just] as I have loved you.
- 13 No one has greater love [no one has shown stronger affection] than to lay down (give up) his own life for his friends.
- 14 You are My friends if you keep on doing the things which I command you to do.
- 15 I do not call you servants (slaves) any longer, for the servant does not know what his master is doing (working out). But I have called you My friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from My Father. [I have revealed to you everything that I have learned from Him.]
- 16 You have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you and I have appointed you [I have planted you], that you might go and bear fruit and keep on bearing, and that your fruit may be lasting [that it may remain, abide], so that whatever you ask the Father in My Name [as presenting all that I AM], He may give it to you.
- 17 This is what I command you: that you love one another. John 15:9-17 AMP
When you love and die to self, you are called a friend of Jesus. You receive the full measure of God’s Joy and Delight in Christ Jesus, not fear and condemnation. Jesus is not suggesting, HE is commanding that you love one another so that you will be complete in HIS LOVE, JOY and DELIGHT.
Copyright © 2014 Glenn Repple ALL RIGHTS RESERVED